The Renton Community Foundation will award over $50,000 in scholarships in 2016. Please read the information below to determine which scholarships you may qualify for. You may apply for more than one scholarship, provided you meet the qualifications. These scholarships are available on www.washboard.org or by emailing the Foundation at email@example.com.
All applicants (with the exception of the Jeremy Gidlund and Betty Jacobsen applicants) must meet the following criteria.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have earned a high school diploma or GED by the time the award is made.
- Must be enrolled in a full or part-time program at an accredited two or four-year college or vocational, technical or trade school.
- Must live within the Renton School District boundaries or have graduated from a Renton High School.
RICHARD BAIMA BISIACK SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship is open to high school seniors or individuals pursuing:
1) a specifc trade certification or degree program at a trade school, technical college, or community college;
2) college undergraduates who can demonstrate they are pursuing a degree in business, marketing or communications. Scholarships vary in size.
CUGINI FAMILY SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship is open to women pursuing a post-secondary education. Scholarships vary in size. Applicants will be evaluated on merit and their passion for their chosen field of study and may be used for a 4-year college, community college, or vocational school for any stage of their education.
HELEN DYRDAL MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
The Helen Dyrdal Memorial Scholarship Program considers applications in each of the following three categories. Applicants must decide which category is the best fit and submit an application for that specific award.
1) Helen Dyrdal Undergraduate Scholarship: Students who have achieved Sophomore standing or above at a four-year college or university. (Running Start students, who will acquire sufficient credits by June 2013 to qualify for an AA or AS degree, would qualify for this award.)
2) Helen Dyrdal Graduate Scholarship: Graduate students working towards a degree in a “helping profession”. A helping profession is defined as: a profession addressing problems in a person’s physical, psychological, intellectual, emotional or spiritual well-being, including medicine, psychology, social work, education, or ministry. It could also include a degree in non-profit management.
3) Helen Dyrdal Trade Scholarship: Individuals pursuing a specific trade certification or degree program at a trade school, technical school or community college.
- Awards typically range between $1,000 - $5,000 in each category.
DR. DOLORES GIBBONS SCHOLARSHIP
- Applicants must have graduated from a Renton high school and be pursuing a degree in education or teaching.
- Awards range between $500 - $1,000.
DR. GARY KOHLWES COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP
- Applicants must be a graduate of a Renton high school and be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a four-year college, community college or technical school.
- Awards range between $500 - $1,000.
BETTY JACOBSEN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
- Open to anyone who is on record for having attended one or more of the following three schools:
§ St. Anthony School of Renton, WA
§ John F. Kennedy High School in Burien, WA
§ Eastside Catholic High School in Bellevue, WA
- Awards are dependent on available funds, but typically range between $1,000 - $2,500.
CARL & BETTY ROCHET SCHOLARSHIP
- Applicants must be pursuing a four-year degree in the field of communications or journalism.
- Awards range between $500 - $2,500.
SUE CARLSON SCHOLARSHIP (for women only)
- Applicants must be female high school seniors or college undergraduates who can demonstrate they are pursuing a degree in business, marketing or communications.
- Awards may range between $1,000 - $3,000
JEREMY GIDLUND MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
- Specifically for students enrolled in a Renton High School Special Education Program or who access special education services within the Renton School District.
- Awards range from $500 - $2,500.
Please note: This scholarship has a separate set of guidelines and application form.